On This Page
The Olympus mju II is probably the smallest fully automatic and water protected 35mm (aff) film camera ever built. It's designed around the film cartridge, small and lightweight. It has even an integrated flash. Its form, round and flatter to one end, makes it easy to slide it into a small pocket.
Features and Operation
Its main features are:
35mm (aff) F2.8 lens, 6 elements in 5 groups, coupled rangefinder, min. focus 0,85m
Aperture priority (2.8-22), electronic shutter, 10sec.-1/500, speed indication 1-1/500 in the viewer/rangefinder window
Size 102×64,5×40, Weight 225 gr.
25-800 ISO, backlight compensation, self-timer
The mju II is a point and shoot camera at it's best. Sharp images, low-light capacity, good autofocus, all together in a tiny little camera which is even water protected.
Where to Find an Olympus mju II
The Olympus µ[mju:] (US: ∞ Stylus) was a fully automatic 35mm compact camera introduced by Olympus in 1991. The Stylus was the first model in the hugely successful Olympus mju/Stylus series, selling 5 million on its own.
Evolved by camera designer Maitani Yoshihisa from his Olympus XA design, the µ[mju:] was very small and curvy, with an integrated lens cover. It is switched on by shifting the lens cover to one side. The original mju/Stylus was generally available in black, but a LIMITED edition model (50,000 examples) with a metallic silver finish was also released. 1992 saw the release of the Olympus µ[mju:] PANORAMA. This utilized tiny magnets to move a mask in front of the film in the middle of the roll, while keeping the body and basic spec unchanged.
Some versions of the mju actually say µ[mju:]-1 on the front.
The technological specifications of this camera formed the basis of a retro-styled limited edition "concept" camera called the Ecru.
- Lens: 35mm (aff), f/3.5 (3 elements in 3 groups).
- Active multi-beam autofocus with 100-steps for a huge range of distances. Pre-focus lock enabled.
- Film format: 35mm (aff) DX-coded film, ISO 50-3200.
- Automatic exposure with shutter speeds of 1/15-1/500s.
- Film advance: Autowind and rewind.
- Integrated flash with four modes: Auto, red eye reduction, fill-in, disabled.
- LCD with battery check and frame counter.
- Tripod Mount.
- Power: 3V lithium CR123A.
- Mju and Stylus in Sylvain Halgand's collection (in French).
- Olympus mju, mju LIMITED and mju/Stylus PANORAMA in the official Olympus Global History (archived).
|Olympus Classic Cameras|
|Semi | Semi II | Six | Chrome Six | Flex | Standard | 35 | Ace | Pen | Pen F | FTL | OM-1/2/3/4 | OM-10/20/30/40 | Trip | µ (mju:) | XA|
Post References and Attribution
This post was created with information kindly contributed by 135Compact